Ruth Ferguson Aulthouse B.E.S., MCIP, RPP
Ruth established RFA Planning Consultant Inc. in 1993 following employment for various municipal and consulting planning organizations. She is originally from Grey County where she worked in the Planning Department before relocating to the Quinte area in 1983. She is well established in south-eastern Ontario as a land use planner with specialized knowledge of this part of the Province. Her planning education was at Waterloo University in the School of Urban and Regional Planning.
Ruth has been a member of the Canadian Institute of Planners since 1983. Since that time she has volunteered for the Ontario Planners Institute, serving as the first member from Eastern Ontario on the Council for 7 years, followed by 10 years’ service on the OPPI Disciplinary Committee. She was a recipient of the OPPI Volunteer Award for service to the profession and she continues to mentor young planners.
Ruth is also a volunteer in the Quinte area, serving on the Boards of Albert College, Belleville General Hospital Foundation, Quinte Healthcare Corporation, Belleville 2000 Task Force and the Quinte Arts Council. She was the recipient of the Ontario Volunteer Service Award in 2013.
Her greatest strength is managing complex projects from the conceptual stage through to construction. Some of these projects unfold over a number of years. She enjoys working with clients and the various disciplines to create outstanding plans that will serve the community well. Ruth has worked on the full range of greenfield and brownfield sites in small, medium and larger municipalities. She believes that planning always adds value to projects and her clients have come to understand this as well.
Ruth is an outdoor enthusiast who decided to become a planner when she realized that site visits were part of the job description. When not working, Ruth enjoys travelling with her family to cities and regions in other parts of the world. They are accustomed to her on-going commentary about the transit systems, road network or built form in these communities and share in her thoughts on how to create better places.
“Planning has been a life-long passion for me. My goal is ensuring successful projects that balance the needs of the clients with community interests, creating a win-win for all. As the principal of RFA, I am proud of our highly-effective, professional team. We are proud of the work that we do and the clients we serve.”
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies, Honours Urban and Regional Planning – University of Waterloo (1981)
- Municipal Administration Program – St. Lawrence College (1984)
- Member, Canadian Institute of Planners/Ontario Professional Planners Institute since 1983.
- Recipient of OPPI Volunteer Service Award.
- Member, Ontario Professional Planners Institute Disciplinary Committee, 1993 – 2003
- Representative-at-large/Secretary, Ontario Professional Planners Institute Executive Council, 1987 – 1992
- Director, Eastern Ontario District, Ontario Professional Planners Institute, 1985-86
Ms. Ferguson Aulthouse is a registered professional planner who has practiced in southeastern Ontario for over thirty years. She established a Belleville-based planning consulting firm in 1993.
Since graduation from Waterloo University in 1981, Ms. Ferguson Aulthouse has worked in senior positions for the public and private sector. She possesses a broad range of planning experience and has been responsible for all phases of planning and development, from project initiation and design through to implementation and professional testimony at the OMB. A representative selection of assignments she has undertaken is outlined below.
Official Plan Policy
- Prepared Intensification Policies and Master Plan (OPA 23) City of Belleville Official Plan for the Belleville City Centre area.
- Prepared new Official Plan Estate Residential Policies for the City of Kingston including special policies for principal waterfront areas within the municipality.
- Chief Planner for the Batawa Development Corporation and Sonja Bata; Prepared “A Model for Sustainable Development in the Community of Batawa” planning report and land use plan; and “Official Plan Amendment 23” for the Batawa Special Policy Area, Adopted by Quinte West Council Dec, 2007.
- Project Planner for Hastings County Official Plan Update; prepared demographic and economic report for Background Study and Rural, Hamlet and Development policies for draft Official Plan.
- Prepared Residential Policies for the City of Belleville Official Plan Review, including intensification policies and land use review for 11 planning units.
- Chief Planner for the County of Prince Edward Official Plan Update. Developed strategic and land use policies for Official Plan; designed and co-ordinated extensive consultation program for municipal councils, agencies and the community, including workshops and surveys.
- Project Manager for Camden East Official Plan.
- Prepared Secondary Plans for Bell Creek in the City of Belleville, Rossmore in the Township of Ameliasburgh and Potter Creek, Wallbridge and Holloway in Sidney Township.
Zoning By-laws and Community Redevelopment
- Responsible for Zoning By-law Updates in Sophiasburgh and Ameliasburgh Townships.
- Preparation of Community Improvement Policies, Background Reports, Government Funding Applications, together with detailed Redevelopment Plans for the Village of Tweed, Village of Harrowsmith, Town of Picton, Hamlet of Rossmore and the Village of Wellington.
Master Plans and Feasibility Studies
- City of Belleville Transportation Master Plan – City of Belleville
- City of Belleville Subdivision Development Policy and Procedures Manual –City of Belleville
- Downtown South Redevelopment Plan – City of Belleville
- Marina Waterfront Development Feasibility Study – Town of Deseronto
- Belleville Downtown Intensification Plan, City of Belleville Mayor’s Downtown Task Force
- Loyalist East Business Park Master Plan, Loyalist Township
- Recreational Trails Master Plan – Phase 2 – Eastern Ontario Trails Alliance
- Township and City of Kingston Waste Diversion Site Analysis EA
- City of Kingston Old Industrial Area Study
- City of Belleville Economic Development Strategy
- Green Creek Sewage Treatment Plant Expansion EA, RMOC
- Drake Devonshire Inn, Wellington, Prince Edward County
- Quinte’s Isle Campark – Pebble Beach seasonal and transient resort with 194 sites
- Sandbanks Summer Village, Cottage Advisors Canada, Prince Edward County – 237 units
- Arbour Heights, 170 bed LTC Facility, 564 Tanner Drive, Kingston
- Quinte Gardens Retirement Complex, Belleville– 478 units
- Belleville General Hospital Expansion, Quinte Health Care, Belleville
- Mackay Insurance Building, 209/211 Dundas Street East, Belleville
- The Grange of Prince Edward Vineyard/Winery Project
- 126 unit Retirement Home, Giffels, Station Street, Belleville
- Quinte Mall expansion, Ivanhoe Cambridge, Belleville including Famous Players Cineplex, Sears Furniture and Appliance Store, Staples Business Depot/ LCBO, Old Navy, Boston Pizza, Montana’s, Lone Star restaurants
- Wesley Acres Youth Camp, Prince Edward County
Ms. Ferguson Aulthouse has been responsible for the design and approvals of numerous residential and community projects. In these, work has included research, site analysis and design, coordination of special studies and sub-consultants, municipal planning applications and approvals. The following are recent examples:
- Cedar Shore Estates Subdivision, Cobourg – 15 lots
- Tackaberry Ridge Subdivision, Municipality of Brighton – 47 units
- Dockside Quinte, East Marina Investments, mixed use/condominium, Belleville – 302 units
- Watermark on the Bay subdivision, Rossmore, Prince Edward County – 44 lots
- Applewood Meadows subdivision, Municipality of Brighton – 68 units
- Cranberry Cove estate residential condominium, South Frontenac Township – 13 units
- Settlers Ridge subdivision, Bax Vintage Homes, Belleville – 400 units
- Potter Creek subdivision, Potter Creek Developments, Belleville – 386 units
- Brookshire Meadows subdivision, Quinte West – 139 units
- Bay of Quinte Golf and Country Club estate residential condominium, Quinte West – 7 units
- Harbour Landing condominium, Rentx Group/ Duvanco Homes, Belleville – 57 units
- Heritage Park subdivision, Geertsma Homes, Belleville – 277 units
- Orchard Gate subdivision, Stalwood Homes, Brighton – 49 units
- Grandview estate residential subdivision, Geertsma Homes, Quinte West – 26 lots
- Oak Ridge estate residential subdivision, Duvanco Homes, Quinte West – 22 lots
- “Town Hill” infill project, Elliott and Sage, Picton, 7 units
- Pine Ridge subdivision, Red Gate Developments, Picton – 69 units
- Rosemary Lane condominium, Davin Corporation, Picton – 58 units
- Macaulay Village subdivision, Davin Corporation, Prince Edward County – 305 units
- Settlers Landing estate residential subdivision, Bax Vintage Homes, Quinte West – 11 lots
- Member, Board of Governors, Albert College, Belleville, Board Chair 2006-2009
- Member, Belleville General Hospital Foundation Board of Directors
- Member, Leadership Committee, Excellence for Life Campaign, Quinte Healthcare Corporation
- Former Member and Past-Chairman, Belleville 2000 Task Force
- Past Vice-President, Quinte Arts Council
- Former Member, Kingston Working Group and Environmental Assessment/Planning Act
- Working Group, Commission on Planning Development Reform in Ontario
- 1993 – Present
RFA Planning Consultant Inc., Belleville, Ontario – President
- 1988 – 1993
Ainley and Associates Limited, Consulting Engineers and Planners, Belleville, Ontario – Chief Planner
- 1986 – 1988
Proctor and Redfern Limited, Consulting Engineers and Planners, Ottawa/Kingston, Ontario – Senior Planner
- 1983 – 1986
Township of Sidney, Belleville, Ontario – Director of Planning
- 1981 – 1983
Township of Muskoka Lakes, Port Carling, Ontario – Township Planner